On This Day

** Originally a sub-menu item under Archives (old) **

Click on the link below for a printable summary of our Archive News for 2015:

Archive News Summary 2015 (pdf)

50 years ago: 1966

CDLHS is fortunate in having a collection of scrapbooks, dating from 1965-1976, containing all references to Collingham reported in the Newark Advertiser during that period. The scrapbooks are available to view in the Jubilee Room

Collingham Pre- School is founded by Mrs Barbara Wilcox. The group is still thriving today.

January 29th  1966 From the Newark Advertiser: ‘Veteran Grocer dies at 81’ ‘Veteran grocer Mr Ernest Holland of Collin Wood, High Street, Collingham. Mr Holland, who had been in poor health for some time, spent his life in the village grocery business founded by his father… In his younger days he was a keen footballer, playing for Newark Thursday Club and was an active member of the Collingham Gymnasium Club that existed then.’

Source: Scrapbook 1 in Collingham Archives

holland family

The Holland Family of Collingham Image kindly donated by Mr and Mrs Peter Holland of Collingham

February 12th 1966: ‘Mr William Pridmore celebrates 70 years as a saddler… and has no intention of retiring.’ – Newark Advertiser

Source: Scrapbook 1 in Collingham Archives

pridmore

Mr William Pridmore of North House, Swinderby Road.

July 23rd

Collingham’s Woodhill School prepares for new exam (Certificate of Secondary Education or CSE)

The head teacher, Mr Alf Fisher made a plea to parents: ‘Will you please see to it that your children have the right facilities for homework? Turn the tell off or put them in the spare room so they can have some peace.’

October 15

Topical Answers

‘An encouraging start to the new season was made by Collingham Discussion Club when 20 members and friends met in the Mayfield Room last week. The chairman for ‘Any Questions’ was Mr B E Dixon. The panel gave their views on various topics including the proposed Collingham development, the Home Secretary’s decision on birching, future use of Woodhill School and the continued imprisonment of Rudolph Hess.’

 

December 1966: Miss Muriel Hurst retired from John Blow Primary School. Miss Hurst was headmistress of Collingham Girls School ‘for the last fourteen years’ up to its closure in 1963 when it was amalgamated with the Boys’ School and transferred to the brand new John Blow Primary.

Source: Cutting from Newark Advertiser in VH/ Scrapbook 2 (archives)

100 years ago: 1916

snow 1916

Heavy snow on Station Road, Collingham, 1916. Station Master Arthur Kind (b. 1872 d. 1958) seen with helpers clearing the road near the station.

Image taken from a post-card in the collection

February 14th: Private George William Blundy (28) killed in action, Ypres. George had been a stable boy for Col. C. Curtis at Langford Hall and was a groom at Skelton Castle in Cleveland when he enlisted. His parents lived on Queen Street, Collingham.  George was one of 14 men from Collingham and Brough who died in the war during 1916. See Trevor Frecknall’s book Collingham and District in The Great War (pub 2015) for a comprehensive timeline of all who served in the area. Available to buy from Collingham Post Office (01636 892201)

1916 02 14 Blundy G Adv 1 March 1916

Private G W Blundy – clipping c/o Newark Advertiser 1916. For more information on George Blundy and Collingham during World War 1, see file WCD/FF1 in the archives

 

trev

Collingham and District in the Great War by Trevor Frecknall still available while stocks last Price: £9.99 Available from Collingham Post Office, Collingham Co-Op and CDLHS (Jubilee Room)

150 years ago: 1866

February 28th: The burial took place of Aimee and Bertha Wake, infant twin daughters of Dr Edward George Wake (1830 -1895), surgeon and author of The History of Collingham and its Neighbours (published Nov. 1867), and his wife Pricilla.

wake cover

Cover to E G Wake’s ‘The History of Collingham and its Neighbours’ Reprinted in 1998 and 2005 by Nottinghamshire County Council. Copies still available from Collingham Library (see Links Page) at £4.50.

Sources: East Trent Genealogy website (see Links page) and Ancestry.co.uk

 170 Years ago: August 4th, 1846

Collingham Railway Station is officially opened (shown here in 1983)

coll station